MEDIA Television

“Quiche,” “tasteless courtier of Brigitte Macron”: Marc Toesca slams Bernard Montiel, who calls him a “crybaby”

“Quiche,” “tasteless courtier of Brigitte Macron”: Marc Toesca slams Bernard Montiel, who calls him a “crybaby”
“Quiche,” “tasteless courtier of Brigitte Macron”: Marc Toesca slams Bernard Montiel, who calls him a “crybaby”

The change of host on " Samedi d'en rire" has turned into a settling of scores. Following Jean-Luc Lemoine's dismissal from the France 3 show, Marc Toesca announced his own departure and launched a vicious attack on his successor, Bernard Montiel. Calling him a "quiche," a "tasteless, colorless, and bland courtier ," the former host of " Top 50" also alluded to Montiel's friendship with Brigitte Macron, claiming he had been told that "room had to be made for a friend of Brigitte Macron ." Bernard Montiel has now responded, denouncing "fake news" spread by "whiners."

Jean-Luc Lemoine ousted after seven seasons

It all started with Jean-Luc Lemoine. On Wednesday, August 19, the comedian and television host announced that he would no longer be at the helm of " Samedi d'en rire" (Saturday of Laughter ), a show he had presented for seven seasons on France 3. The program itself will continue, but without the man who had been its face since 2019. Jean-Luc Lemoine explains that he did not choose to leave. He recounts discovering his dismissal online at the end of June, before even being directly informed by France Télévisions or the production company. He says he found this approach particularly upsetting. Just a few days earlier, he had been in contact with the production team regarding upcoming filming. The host also emphasizes that the show is not being canceled and that it is achieving good ratings. France Télévisions and the production company have simply decided to continue the program with another presenter. This replacement is now officially known: Bernard Montiel.

Marc Toesca slams the door and attacks Bernard Montiel

The announcement immediately sparked anger from Marc Toesca. A long-time commentator on " Samedi d'en rire" (Saturday of Laughter ), he decided not to participate in the next season and publicly declared his support for Jean-Luc Lemoine. After thanking Lemoine for their seven years of collaboration and praising his personal and professional qualities, Toesca directly attacked Bernard Montiel. He described his replacement as a "bland, colorless, tasteless courtier" and added this scathing remark: "I'll never do television opposite a fool." Toesca explained that his decision was immediate upon learning of Lemoine's departure. He also stated that he still harbors "a deep-seated anger" toward the public broadcaster's management, whom he accuses of misunderstanding both television and its audience.

"We had to make room for a friend of Brigitte Macron."

Marc Toesca doesn't stop there. At the end of his message, he directly brings Brigitte Macron into the controversy. He recounts asking a friend why Jean-Luc Lemoine had been dismissed. According to the answer he received, "they needed to make room for a friend of Brigitte Macron ." A clear reference to Bernard Montiel. However, it's important to distinguish between the two passages. Marc Toesca doesn't literally say "a courtier of Brigitte Macron ." He first describes Bernard Montiel as "an odorless, colorless, tasteless courtier ," then separately reports this explanation referring to his friendship with Brigitte Macron. The connection between the two attacks is evident in his message, but Toesca presents the statement concerning the reasons for the replacement as something he was told by a third party, not as a fact he himself established.

Bernard Montiel is indeed a friend of Brigitte Macron

The friendship between Bernard Montiel and Brigitte Macron is undisputed. The presenter has publicly acknowledged it for years. However, he has already firmly denied having benefited from the First Lady's intervention to secure a job at France Télévisions. When questioned last May about suspicions of nepotism surrounding his arrival at the public broadcaster, Bernard Montiel asserted that Brigitte Macron had absolutely no influence. He explained that he had been recruited after discussions with Stéphane Sitbon-Gomez, the number two at France Télévisions, and defended Brigitte Macron as a friend who doesn't interfere in his career. Marc Toesca has now publicly raised this issue again, without providing any evidence to establish that Brigitte Macron intervened in the replacement of Jean-Luc Lemoine.

Bernard Montiel breaks his silence and targets the "whiners".

Following the attacks, Bernard Montiel chose to respond this Thursday. And while he doesn't mention Marc Toesca or Jean-Luc Lemoine by name, perhaps out of cowardice or fear of legal repercussions, his message clearly targets the controversy surrounding his arrival on " Samedi d'en rire" (Saturday of Laughter ). The host begins by ironically thanking those who thought of him on the occasion of Saint Bernard's Day. Then his tone becomes distinctly more aggressive. He denounces "fake news" circulating, according to him, through "whiners" or people who don't understand the world of television. Bernard Montiel indicates that he will "perhaps" respond to the accusations later and reminds everyone of his 41 years in the television industry. He concludes his statement by echoing a phrase from his friend Cyril Hanouna: television is still "TV." He therefore doesn't specifically address Marc Toesca's accusation concerning Brigitte Macron, at least not yet. He doesn't elaborate further on the words "quiche" or "courtier." His response consists of dismissing the criticisms as "fake news" and their authors as "whiners."

Montiel officially announces his arrival on October 3rd

Bernard Montiel also took the opportunity to definitively confirm what had previously only been announced: he will indeed be taking over the reins of " Samedi d'en rire" (Saturday of Laughter) . The show is scheduled for Saturday, October 3rd at 13:30 PM on France 3. Jean-Luc Lemoine is therefore being replaced, while the program will remain on the air. Bernard Montiel will also be joining " Les Enfants de la télé" (Children of Television) with Faustine Bollaert and continuing his Sunday show on RFM. His arrival comes as the team that accompanied Jean-Luc Lemoine is disbanding.

Yoann Riou is also leaving the show

Marc Toesca is not the only commentator to refuse to continue. Yoann Riou has also announced his departure from " Samedi d'en rire" (Saturday of Laughter) due to Jean-Luc Lemoine's dismissal. The sports journalist adopts a much less vehement tone, but his decision is just as clear. After seven seasons on the program, he explains that he preferred to leave because of Jean-Luc Lemoine's departure, mentioning the happy years spent with the team and the excellent atmosphere of the show. France 3 is therefore keeping " Samedi d'en rire ," but is simultaneously losing its host and at least two of its iconic commentators.

Share this article

Your news, according to your interests

Choose the sections and language of your newsletter. You can change your preferences at any time.

Interview Application

Information everywhere you go

Find the latest news, alerts and your favorite sections in an experience designed for mobile.

Interview app alerts screen: latest news alerts
Customization screen for Interview app sections
News screen of the Interview app: the featured story