Interviews THE WORLD

Iran: Pezeshkian defends the memorandum with Washington as a path to peace

Iran: Pezeshkian defends the memorandum with Washington as a path to peace
Iran: Pezeshkian defends the memorandum with Washington as a path to peace

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian defended the memorandum of understanding reached with the United States on Sunday, presenting it as the best option for resolving a situation he described as "neither war nor peace." The sixty-day period stipulated in the agreement has expired without any significant progress.

Masoud Pezeshkian chose on Sunday to speak out in defense of the memorandum of understanding signed in June by Donald Trump, the deadline for which passed last week without any compromise being reached. The Iranian president asserts that the members of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) share this interpretation, in the name of "dignity, wisdom, and the national interest."

"There is not a single provision in this agreement that resembles a capitulation," he said, in remarks published by the official IRNA news agency. "The Supreme Leader sets the guidelines, and we will follow that path."

The agreement, initialed by Washington in June, set a sixty-day timeframe for ending the conflict between the United States and Israel, while demanding that Tehran abandon its nuclear ambitions. That deadline has now passed, and the situation in the Strait of Hormuz remains deadlocked: Iran closed this strategic waterway in response to US-Israeli strikes, paralyzing a portion of global trade for the past six months.

Pezeshkian stressed the need for Iran to break this deadlock in order to attract foreign capital. "Capital and money are extremely risk-sensitive," he said. "We must eliminate that risk from the country."

On the diplomatic front, the Iranian Foreign Ministry announced Sunday that Pakistani military chief Asim Munir would be visiting Tehran on Monday. This visit is part of "Pakistan's ongoing efforts to consolidate peace and security in the region," according to Tehran. Islamabad played a key role in brokering the memorandum between Washington and Tehran. Pakistan also signed a regional security cooperation agreement this month with Saudi Arabia and Turkey, which some observers interpret as an attempt to counterbalance Iranian influence.

These signs of openness contrast sharply with the tone adopted by Mohsen Rezaei, the new head of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC), known for his hardline stance. He warned neighboring countries against providing any assistance to the American war effort: "If [Trump] wants to do something, we will retaliate seismically." Rezaei added that Iran could target alternative oil export routes outside the Strait of Hormuz if neighboring countries joined the economic war waged by Washington against Tehran.

Share this article

Your news, according to your interests

Choose the sections and language of your newsletter. You can change your preferences at any time.

Community

Comments

Write a comment

Be the first to comment on this article.

Respond to this article

Comments are moderated. Promotional messages, automated emails, and abusive links are blocked.

Your first comment, or any message containing a link, may be placed pending approval.

Interview Application

Information everywhere you go

Find the latest news, alerts and your favorite sections in an experience designed for mobile.

Interview app alerts screen: latest news alerts
Customization screen for Interview app sections
News screen of the Interview app: the featured story